What is a Brain Tumor ?
Tumours which start in the brain are called primary brain tumours and are classified according to the kind of cell from which the tumour originates. The most common primary brain tumour in adults comes from cells in the brain called astrocytes that makes up the blood-brain barrier and contribute to the nutrition of the central nervous system.
What Causes Brain Tumors ?
There is no as such proven cause of brain tumors. However, some of the causes include –
- A family history of genetic disorders such as tuberous sclerosis, Li-Fraumeni syndrome, neurofibromatosis and Hippel-Lindau disease.
- People who have a compromised immune system
- Exposure to radiation
Types of Brain Tumors
A brain tumor can result in a number of neurological problems. There are many types of brain tumors. Some common tumors are –
- Central nervous system (CNS) lymphoma
- Acoustic neuroma
- Optic nerve glioma
- Pituitary neuroectodermal
- Brain stem glioma
- Pineal tumors
- Primitive neuroectodermal
- Mixed glioma
Symptoms of both primary and metastatic brain tumors depend chiefly on the location in the brain and the size of the tumor.
- Tumors in the frontal lobe of the brain can lead to weakness and lack of ability to move on one side of the body (paralysis), mood disturbances, difficulty in thinking, confusion and disorientation, and emotional mood swings.
- Parietal lobe tumors can lead to seizures, lack of feeling or paralysis, failure to perform simple mathematical problems, trouble with certain movements, and loss of sense of touch. Tumors in the occipital lobe can lead to loss of vision in half of each visual field and visual hallucinations.
- Temporal lobe tumors may lead to seizures, perceptual and spatial disturbances, and failure to understand simple commands (receptive aphasia)
- Tumor in the cerebellum may cause people to have difficulty maintaining their balance (ataxia), loss of skill, headaches, and vomiting.
- Tumors in the hypothalamus may lead to emotional changes, and variation in the perception of hot and cold.
- Avoid toxic chemicals which is used in the oil and rubber industries
- Avoid excess imaging scan radiations
- The use of cell phones should be reduced as the rays can increase the cancer risk. Though there is still research going on in this field but precaution is always better
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle by including fruits and vegetables and avoiding excess alcohol
- Having save sex and avoiding the risk of HIV infections.
MyMedOpinion.com gets you Medical Opinion from India’s top Specialists and Best Treatment Cost from World Class hospitals in India- in just 24-48 hours
MyMedOpinion.com affiliated Best hospitals in India provide an medical opinion from experienced surgeons and the treatment cost includes companion stay , surgeon fee, medicines and consumables, nursing care, patient’s food and airport pick up & drop etc. etc. We offer free, no obligation assistance to international patients to find world class medical treatment in India. We offer support and services to facilitate the care you require. We can help you find the best hospital in India
Send us a Medical Report to Get FREE Medical Opinion from India’s Top Doctors
MyMedOpinion.com is the hub of Surgeons and specialists for major diseases. We give you a chance to speak to our doctors and discuss your health issues directly.
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org Call Us: +91-9654683991