What is Brain Tumor
A brain tumor is a growth of abnormal cells in the tissues of the brain. Brain tumors can be benign, with no cancer cells, or malignant, with cancer cells that grow quickly. Some are primary brain tumors, which start in the brain. Others are metastatic, and they start somewhere else in the body and move to the brain.
Brain tumors can cause many symptoms. Some of the most common are
- Headaches, often in the morning
- Nausea and vomiting
- Changes in your ability to talk, hear, or see
- Problems with balance or walking
- Problems with thinking or memory
- Feeling weak or sleepy
- Changes in your mood or behavior
Doctors diagnose brain tumors by doing a neurologic exam and tests including an MRI, CT scan, and biopsy. Treatment options include watchful waiting, surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, and targeted therapy. Targeted therapy uses substances that attack cancer cells without harming normal cells. Many people get a combination of treatments.
Brain Tumor Treatment
Treatment for brain tumors depends on a number of factors including the type, location and size of the tumor as well as the patient’s age and general health. Treatment methods and schedules differ for children and adults.
Brain tumors are treated with surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy. Our doctors also are studying a vaccine for treating a recurrent cancer of the central nervous system that occurs primarily in the brain, known as glioma.
Depending on your needs, several methods may be used. Our team includes neurosurgeons, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, nurses, a dietitian and a social worker, who work together to provide the best possible care.
Before treatment begins, most patients are given steroids, drugs that relieve swelling or edema. Your may receive anticonvulsant medicine to prevent or control seizures.
If hydrocephalus is present, you may need a shunt to drain cerebrospinal fluid. A shunt is a long, thin tube placed in a ventricle of the brain and then threaded under the skin to another part of the body, usually the abdomen. It works like a drainpipe. Excess fluid is carried away from the brain and is absorbed in the abdomen. In some cases, the fluid is drained into the heart.
Surgery as the way of Treatment
Surgery is normally the exclusion of the cancerous tumor and adjoining tissues during the process of operation. There are several sorts of surgery available for brain cancer, and the most helpful option frequently depends on the phase and malignancy of the brain cancer.
Additional treatment options for high-grade tumors include:
- Radiation therapy: X-rays and other forms of radiation can destroy tumor cells or delay tumor growth.
- Chemotherapy: The use of drugs to kill rapidly dividing cells. It can be taken orally or intravenously.
- Targeted therapy: The focus on a specific element of a cell, such as molecules or pathways required for cell growth, in order to use them as a target.
- Tumor Treating Fields: (A wearable device) locally or regionally delivered treatment that produces electric fields to disrupt the rapid cell division exhibited by cancer cells by creating alternating, “wave-like” electric fields that travel across their region of usage in different directions. Because structures within dividing cells have an electric charge, they interact with these electric fields.
Diagnosis of Brain Tumor:-
Most of the brain is separated from the blood by the blood-brain barrier (BBB) exerting a limiting control for any substance to pass. Hence, most tracers would be able reach brain tumors only with the disruption of the BBB. The disruption of the BBB (blood-brain-barrier) can be detected by a MRI and CT.
MyMedOpinion.com gets you Medical Opinion from India’s top Specialists and Best Treatment Cost from World Class hospitals in India- in just 24-48 hours
MyMedOpinion.com affiliated Best hospitals in India provide an medical opinion from experienced surgeons and the treatment cost includes companion stay , surgeon fee, medicines and consumables, nursing care, patient’s food and airport pick up & drop etc. etc. We offer free, no obligation assistance to international patients to find world class medical treatment in India. We offer support and services to facilitate the care you require. We can help you find the best hospital in India
Send us a Medical Report to Get FREE Medical Opinion from India’s Top Doctors
MyMedOpinion.com is the hub of Surgeons and specialists for major diseases. We give you a chance to speak to our doctors and discuss your health issues directly.
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org Call Us: +91-9654683991